We focus on making venture capital investments in small-to medium-sized companies that are engaged in the exploitation of new or unique products or services, with a sustainable competitive advantage, typically in New York and its surrounding states. Because of the vital importance we place on the management of our portfolio companies, we focus on making investments – in and around Western New York – that permit close and frequent contact. By meeting directly and often with the the management of our portfolio companies, as well as their board of directors, we are best able to evaluate the likelihood of success. For those companies whose headquarters are outside of our immediate geographical area, we will participate in syndicates with other investors.
Our Preferences for Investing
- Typically invest between $500,000 and $1.5 million in privately held companies.
- Total Investment rounds of $1 million to $5 million.
- “Lead” investments in Western and Upstate New York and syndicates outside these areas.
- Requires membership on the company’s Board of Directors.
- Prefer to be a minority shareholder.
- Limit duration of investment from five to seven years.
- Do not invest in real estate ventures.
- Prefer business to be unique or possess proprietary right(s).
What Does Rand Offer?
In addition to capital, we bring management experience, perspective and the ability to identify and help remedy a company’s potential weaknesses. Having experienced firsthand the situations that have led to both unfulfilled promise, as well as success, we bring a broad, sweeping understanding of the larger issues that often limit a company’s potential for growth.
How to Proceed
If you are interested, please mail us your Business Plan. We do not accept plans via e-mail.